Monday, April 5, 2010

Our Easter Miracle....

Today was an aberration to be sure. I woke up at 0700 to go to Easter breakfast at a friend's house. Then I got in trouble at home for missing Easter brunch with the family. There is nothing worse than disappointing my Mom. I was feeling pretty down and guilty when I got to work.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the board: the gods saw fit to reduce our census considerably. We were at 14 (I was kinda pissed off at the beginning, as I'd called to see if I could have the day off and didn't get a call back...) beds filled until near the end of shift when we went alll the way up to 16.

The miracle is that were actually appropriately staffed. More than expected, really. Not only did we have a Charge, I was Resource, and we had *two* CNAs. With only 14 patients lol.

And the RNs on the floor seemed to have everything under control, and most of them refused their 15 min breaks saying they didn't need them. I practically had to beg to take phones away at least so they could do things uninterrupted.

I ended up busying myself cleaning the med rooms and restocking the IV start kits, which were in a horrible state of disarray. Dear Unit: MRSA swabs are not part of the IV start kit. Tele stickers are not part of the IV start kit. Suture removal kits are not part of the IV start kit. Also, urine specimen tubes do not go with the blood draw kit. Just saying... Please try to keep them nice for at least a little while!

I got to take someone down to CT, didn't get lost, had a nice chat with the Radiology Tech downstairs. I figured it would make the most sense just to stick around during the scan rather than go up and have to come back down again later.

There's not much point to this post, I suppose. I hope I get patients tomorrow so I can be in my own little world...

That is, if I can't get the day off... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment