Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A quickie....

I am in the middle of a scheduling block from hell. 5 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 5 on. Tomorrow will be my first day off. I don't know if I'm going to survive. This is frickin' ridiculous. I'm thinking I'll call in sick Thursday so I can get 3 days off in a row to recuperate. My back it sore as hell from moving heavy people around, and it feels like I'm walking on shards of glass.


As for the quickie, the other day I was going to pull up insulin. Our B station med room was out of the 50 unit syringes, so I went to A station. They had about 20. So I gave Material Services a call and they said they'd take care of it. I did my 1800 med pass, went to dinner and didn't think about it until 2100 fingersticks.

I checked the med room and we didn't have any more syringes than we started, so I called MS again. This time I was informed that they were out.

Yes, the storeroom of a *major* chain hospital was *out* of 50 unit insulin syringes. "We might get some tomorrow," I was told.

So tomorrow (ie, yesterday) comes and we still don't have them. We have to use the 100U ones, which are a pain in the ass to dose accurately. I asked the ass.man. about it and he said he'd call again. Here's hoping today we'll actually have the supplies we need to do our jobs...



But an even bigger hope is that Staffing calls me off today so I can rest my weary bone. I'm too damn young to feel this old.

No comments:

Post a Comment