Sunday, August 9, 2009

Not quite sure how to title this one....

Tonight I was at a party at a friend's house. One of the guests was transgender, MTF. She told me that she'd graduated with a degree in kinesiology/sports medicine about 10 years ago, but never did anything with it.

She told me she'd just been accepted to the BSN program at the local university. I congratulated her and wished her the best of luck.

I hope to god she is tough as nails.

Nursing school is hard enough even when you look/act like everyone expects you to. The patients and their families *do* judge you. You can be the most kind, knowledgeable, and professional RN on the planet, but some people will see your nose ring and decide you probably don't know what you're talking about.

I know a couple guys in my nursing school who could not complete assignments during their L&D rotation because the new moms wouldn't allow them to meet up for a follow-up visit. A lot of people still don't trust the motives of male nurses. They assume they're gay, or weren't *quite* smart enough to be MDs.

I don't even want to think of the hell she might go through, just to get her degree. Let alone get a job.

If she survives it all then I think she wins for most tough RN ever. Here's hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment